- If you're homeless and want your story told, it helps to be an ex-journalist. From BoingBoing
- A Genetic Disorder That Removes Racial Bias? People with Williams Syndrome lack 26 genes found in a typical human genome. As a result they are inordinately friendly, and experience no social anxiety. Now a new study reveals that they may also be free of racial bias. By Annalee Newitz in io9.com:
- Larvatus Prodeo on the wingnuts and "personal responsibility"
- ..."the real problem isn't so much technological, but political". Climate change, an amazing new technology and a familiar old problem from NoRightTurn
- also from NoRightTurn "Japan has released its catch report on its annual "scientific" whale hunt in the Southern Ocean - and revealed that they killed only half as many whales as they were planning to. The reason? Sea Shepherd:
No matter what you think of their methods, Sea Shepherd are certainly effective. This year, they saved almost 500 whales from Japanese freezers (I'd say "dinner plates", but no-one buys the stuff). No wonder the Japanese are pissed.Whalers said they were angry, and blamed what they described as "violent interference" from the anti-whaling Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Clashes at sea between Sea Shepherd and the whaling ships paralysed the hunt for 31 days.