Tuesday 9 March 2010

Exactly who is the CMC protecting? Certainly not Mulrunji's dignity or memory

Readers are no doubt aware of the current/new Coroner's Inquiry into the death of Mulrunji Doomadgee at the hands (and knees and feet) of Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley in the Palm Island watch house on November 19, 2004 - a bit over half of my son's lifetime ago.

While, other than to point to this excellent recent summary of the history by Jeff Waters, a Senior Correspondent for the ABC's Australia Network television news service, I will (probably) reserve comment until the results of the current inquiry are released.

BUT, in the meantime, I would remind readers of the scandalous and never-ending delay in the release of the Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission’s probe into “the dodgy police investigation into the death” – an inquiry that started (as best as I can find) in December 2004 – that’s 5 years and 3 months ago.

It certainly wouldn’t have taken the CMC over 5 years if it had been Chris Hurley who had died on the watch house floor that night!

I recommend following Monique Bond who is blogging on the current hearing.

See also my earlier post here and my racism taged posts here

No comments: