From the article we learn that:
- Rich idiots built/brought a house on a foreshore sanddune in the city's northern beaches
- The sea persistantly tries to reclaim it's dune
- Nobody is responsible for approving the developments or choosing to live in them
- All taxpayers are responsible for restoring these front yards (and property values)
By my reckoning, this part of Nelly Bay has lost about 15 metres of beachfront!
I would have thought that Tyrell or Last would have worked out by now that:
- Magnetic Island is Townsville's prime tourism asset and as such produce an economic benefit for the whole city,
- Part of the Island's sales pitch is it's 23 beaches,
- Beachfront mansions in Bushland Beach are of no productive benefit to the city or its economy
I also learn in the Bully's hardcopy that Mayor Les has actually flown over the Island in a helicopter. I wish I'd known - I'd have given him the finger back
Footnote: I should also point out that, while the damage in the pics was caused by Yasi's storm surge, the reason for the damage is the reshaping of the Bay when the western end was blow-up, bulldozed and filled-in to make the Nelly Bay Harbour which you can just see the beginning of in the bottom two pics.